Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Plant

6:15pm @ Chem-S-Tree Labs


"George, discover anything remarkable today?"

"Hah, I've been working here for five years and the only interesting things that I discover are on YouTube."

"Yeah? Well I think I find something that might catch your interest. It pretty useless but like I said, it's interesting enough."

"Well shit, we still have 45 minutes till we can go home, so why not. Entertain me."

"So you know I've been mass producing trees. Basically fast-forwarding their reproduction so to say cover a forest that's been hit by a wild fire. Or say counter a carbon footprint made by some company."

"It's been going on for a little over two years now, no?"

"Right on. Today marks 750 days of being a tree pimp."

"Then I suppose I should give you an applause?"

"Save it.  So everything is going as planned. I have a shit load of trees. A fucking army of trees. Want some trees in Niger? Give me 72 hours. These trees are the rabbits of the plant family. They don't even need much water to survive. But I noticed an off-shoot of a generation a few weeks back that seemed very odd. The leaves were more yellow than green and seemed to be weeping. Err, like there is actual discharge from the leaves, coming from small blisters."

"Weird."

"I thought so too. I took the few that I found out of the population and started to examine them. Everything seems fine but looks like there is an unfavorable reaction when it comes into contact with UV light."

"Are they like potatoes and became night shades?"

"No, that's not it either. I almost lost one by keeping them completely in the dark. They need to photosynthesis but it also causes them to degrade. It's a weird reaction"

"So. What are you going to do?"

"No idea. I just thought it was interesting. A plant who needs light but is hurt by it at the same time. I mean for an average plant, too much light can kill it, but this is an entirely different level of light sensitivity."

"Seems like a freak mutation to me. Might as well just forget about them and move on."

"Yeah, I'm going to selectively breed them and see what happens, but not holding my breath for anything exciting to happen."

"Good good. Well, time for a beer?"

"Sure. Want to go the same place?"

"Yeah, that's the only place I know of with decent food and gluten-free beer."

"God, it must suck to be allergic to gluten."

"Fucking tell me about it. I've been craving a regular ale for years!"