Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Running and Talking (02.14.2012)

I want to become a doctor so during many runs I usually think about what I would say during an medical school interview. I've only had one interview for a small school in eastern Washington and unfortunately they did not ask me the one question that I constantly think about: Why do you want to be a doctor? Read: Why not anything else? Say a nurse or a PA or dentist. Whatever, just why a doctor? So like many times before, today when I got into a good rhythm on my run, I asked myself, "Why do you want to be a doctor?".

In my mind, I am seated in front of whoever is interviewing me and I start the conversation like this:

"I think the whole medical system is like a bicycle. Oh, let's not get too crazy about this bike. I'm talking about a very simple bike. Frame, wheels, pedals, brakes, a seat, and a handle bar. Yeah, yeah. There are screws and a chain and crank. You get my point. It's a simple bike. Not something Lance Armstrong would race with but something a 5 year old would ride."

Then I would say something like:

"Every piece is important to this bike much like how every person in the medical field is important to our medical system. Anything you can name in the medical field has its counterpart on this bike." By this point, I am floating in front of the interviewer and I am riding a big old rusted cruiser bike, which is of course also floating.

The nurses are here and I point to all the spikes on the crank. So is the office staff, I lift my butt and point to the seat. Medical insurance people? Oh yeah! Who do you think these brakes are? Then I focus on the question. Why a doctor? I stop pedaling and rest my arms and chin on the cold handle bar and take a quick pause to make sure that whatever comes out of my mouth does not contain words that relate to power, control, or wealth.

"I want to be a doctor because I feel that I have the physical and mental endurance to withstand the education and the ensuing work load." **ring ring goes the bike bell.

No no.

"I want to be a doctor because I feel that with the proper education and training I can become a great asset to a medical team." **ring ring

No, that's not it either.

"I want to be a doctor because I feel that I can lead a medical team to its goal of helping those who are ill live healthier lives." **ring ring

"Screw you bell. What do you even represent?" I take the bell off and throw it into the waste bin next to the interviewers feet. **ring ring

"Well, that's good enough." I think to myself and start pedaling again.

"So what part of the bike is the doctor?"
I reply, "The handlebar."
"Oh, than who is riding the bike?"
"The patient". **ring ring

"So do you want to be a doctor?", the interviewer asks.
**ring ring

++++

I got into that school in WA but decided not to go. Thus I still think about this kind of stuff when I run.