Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dust Bunnies Part II

"I managed to grow tall without growing up. But does that mean I'll die young?"

When you get really good at something, I feel that it's easy to coast at whatever you're good at. For example, say you are a professional bartender. You are good at what you do. Your drinks taste great, they come out aesthetically pleasing, and are made with proper technique. You control the flow of when costumers get their drinks and you have the spotlight. The owner of the bar can easily see your value, so you get paid well. I mean you have to, a lot of these customer come in to the establishment expecting to not only get a drink from you but perhaps chat with you at the bar. Yeah, some may not understand the importance of this bartender but that is because they are probably not regular bar goers. I can tell you that as dust bunnies, we don't get to experience having a good time shooting the shit with a bartender, but we are an observant bunch and I can't count the number of times that I've seen the glow and energy of customers' faces disappear when their favorite bartender is not working or reappear when that bartender ends up showing up. But what gets this bartender going every morning? Yes, he/she has a fan base. Yes, he/she gets paid well. But it's a question about motivation. Does this person have enough motivation to do his job, not only do his job but do it well, in a daily basis? Probably not. Being motivated one day and deflated the next is a more realistic scenario. However, this isn't ideal. Costumers would probably rather have consistency rather than having to guess if the barkeep is in a good mood or bad. So what does the bartender do? Probably try to keep things level. Motivation is like a trick cup that can be filled from the bottom. Meaning, as long as you have passion, the cut refills automatically no matter how much you take from it. But there is a direct relationship between how much you take and how long it takes to refill: the more motivation you take from the cup the longer it's going to take to refill. Simple. Thus, never taking too much is a good practice. This way the cup stays semi-filled and refills quickly. In other words, one should strive to coast ie. use the least amount necessary to do the job.

I coast a lot. I didn't always, though. When I was young, I was all go go go. I was like a bust bunny on steroid, crack, and always drinking an energy drink. Did I do any of those? Of course not. I'm a dust bunny. What good would those drugs do for me? Zero. What I mean is that I was full of energy. I could run around the house from dawn until evening stealthily spreading my dust without thinking about taking a breather. Zoom, I'm behind the clock. Watchout! I'm making dust angels underneath the computer. After a few seconds of that I'm all over your microwave, top of the cereal box, violated every single cupboard, and…you get the point. I'm everywhere. So if I can spread this dust all day and all night, why do I ever need to be a cat, you ask? Remember we went over equilibrium? Some times things just get to a point of max disorder and it wouldn't make a difference if I put a little more dust over, under, or next to the garbage container. Well, poof* now I'm your friendly cat. I'm sitting on your lap, purring, getting petted, and then suddenly zoom* I run out of the room and… wait for it…wait for it…CRASH! There goes the garbage bin. However did it fall over? Blame the cat. So you see being a cat has its advantages. But with every advantage, there must be a disadvantage. 

I didn't notice right away but once I starting switching back and forth from dust bunny to cat, I began to feel like something inside of me shifted. Something went from here to there. Or perhaps more accurately something went from perpetual motion to becoming motionless. Motionless? In other words, no movement. If something doesn't move, it is probably lacking disorder and what could be the consequence of a dust bunny, who embodies disorder, who suddenly feels like there is a neat ball of order appear within him?

Remember the trick cup? Yeah, it get's filled from the bottom so it appears like it never goes empty. But let's say that that neat ball of something is a plug over the opening to my cup. Now it doesn't refill…I am perhaps screwed. Probably more screwed than your average dust bunny because I have a very large cup. No, it's more like a tub. So I didn't notice that it wasn't refilling till I used up a lot of what I had. You know, no one ever told me that this is what happens when a dust bunny decides to become a cat. There really should be someone I can blame for this.

"Hey you, you screwed me over! Such an asshole. This is all your fault so now fix it."

No, I suppose that wouldn't help. So now I coast. I coast to not use up what I have left too quickly. Sometimes I just sleep because sleeping doesn't use up anything at all. I wonder what will happen when it's all gone. I could probably guess, but I prefer not thinking about it. Regardless, it's been great. I lived the way I wanted to. I spread dust in places that would make most dust bunnies shake their heads. I've done a good job. So as I stretch out my cat body and close my eyes, my dreams are sweet and I tell myself to be content. What do cats dream about? I'll tell you but it will have to wait till after I take a rest. I don't have the energy I used to.