Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wind Go! You Go!

I can now see why very intelligent and not so intelligent people in the past have used the ocean to symbolize life. If one floating on an endless ocean, one must go with the wind. Unless, of course, that person possesses oars. Then he could use his mighty strength to go against wind, against current, and against fate. However, as many of my generation have learned, it is very difficult to fight fate. So we throw our oars overboard, yell, "good bye old friends!", and we let the wind take us to wherever the wind may please. It's the chef's choice and the wind not only owns the restaurant, but cooks its tasteless delights.

I threw away my oars years ago and have been floating ever since. Floating very comfortably, I might add, but not content. So I made oars of the floating debris that crossed my untraceable path and began to row. I rowed hard and fast, but those sticks were gutless, and I made no progress in any real directions, succeeding in only wasting energy. I decided to give up. My body ached. My head needed rest from being restless for so long. I laid down on my raft and closed my eyes and woke to a gentle knocking. ***knock knock. ***knock knock.

I opened my eyes and half expected someone to be staring down at me. But there was no visible entity there. Perhaps my shadow playing tricks, I told myself. I closed my eyes again and made myself open them when I heard the same knock. ***knock knock. ***knock knock.

I got to my feet and looked around: there was nothing. Only endless water was to be seen from my raft in the middle of the sea. I sat, put my hands on my chin and gazed at the sunset. Sunsets in individual peoples' oceans can be beautiful or terrifying. Luckily, my mind produces a beautiful sunset. It is one that maybe found in sunny California.The temperature is not too hot, not too cold, there are beautiful people walking around you, and the sun is that unique red-orange that can only be found in the west coast of America. Beautiful. ***knock knock. ***knock knock…

…My ears traced the knocking to be next to the boat. I peer over, expecting a piece of drift wood, but to my surprise, I find my old oars! "Hello old friends", I called over, and they greeted me politely. "Shall we resume our journey that we set so long ago?", they asked…

…***knock knock. ***knock knock.